I’ve been a medium all my life. The punch line? I didn’t know it until about my early 40s!
A few years ago, I moved from California back to Virginia where I grew up. I went home a completely different person than I left. My family and friends here didn’t know me as the person I am now but they certainly do now!
They didn’t know the “meditating, manifesting, Reiki-infusing, crystal-obsessing, sage-burning, Spirit-communicating me.
It took a while to get through all of the questions that came along with this new version of me. The most common one? If you didn’t know you were a medium before, how do you know you’re one now?
Simple question. Complicated answer.
It didn’t happen overnight, but in stages. After I moved to California, my daily lifestyle changed. I met new people, experienced new ways of thinking.
I was exposed to an openness in heart and mind I had never before experienced. Meditated daily. Practiced yoga. I became aware of my energy and the impact of other’s energy on me.
So, in answer to the question –how did I know? These were the signs that clued me in.
At first, I was petrified. I thought I was going crazy. But with support, education and guidance, I am happy to say I am completely at peace living and sharing my Truth.
10 Signs that I was Receiving Spirit Communication:
- Physical Sensations. Whoa – this one was scary at first! Rapid heartbeat, dizziness, anxiety. Out of the blue, my heart would start beating out of my chest. My friends would see me tapping on my chest in a frantic attempt to control its rhythm. It was debilitating until I learned what it was and how to control it.
- Thoughts, words or images just “popped” into my head from nowhere —most of the time completely out of context. After a while, I began to share these random thoughts with people around me. Lo and behold, it would have specific meaning for them related to their own lives or deceased loved ones.
- Am I Hearing Things???? I began to hear sounds that didn’t make sense for the environment I was in at the time – bells ringing, my name being called while alone, doors slamming.
- Smells – some days I would walk through my house and smell smoke, perfume or flowers. None of this would make sense for my lifestyle and home, so I began to recognize these as signs like the others.
- Synchronicities became a normal occurrence. What I have come to realize is that these are Spirit’s perfectly-timed and placed clues. For example, while stopped at a stoplight one day, I noticed a really nice-looking dog in the passenger seat of the car next to me. I like dogs but don’t know much about breeds. The driver told me it was an Australian Shepherd. Later that evening, I began to deliver impromptu messages from Spirit to a visitor at my home. He was skeptical of what was happening and gave me a “test”. If this is really my grandmother, tell me what kind of dog she had? I didn’t hesitate… yep, you guessed it….Australian shepherd.
- “I see dead people”. LOL – that movie has such a different meaning for me now. But seriously, I’d catch a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye – a shadow, wisp of smoke, or a sensation of movement but when I’d turn to look, nothing would be there.
- I felt the presence of others, even when alone.
- Interrupted sleep. I began to consistently wake up in the middle of the night –not toddler related! Often this occurred at the same exact time every night. What I later realized is that usually the time had a meaning to me, or to the Spirit that was waking me.
- Intense emotions. These were emotions that came out of the blue and at the drop of a hat. Suddenly, and usually in conjunction with one of these other signs, I’d feel an extreme sense of sadness or elation or other emotion that I knew didn’t belong to me.
- Vivid dreams and visitations. I began to have the most vivid and real dreams of my father, my grandmother, or other loved ones. These dreams were so real that upon waking I was surprised not to see them sitting by me.
If you say “oh, that’s me” to 3 or more of these signs, consider carefully what’s happening. Perhaps you’re not going crazy, perhaps you’re experiencing the awakening of your own dormant abilities.
- IF it exists for you, confide in a trusted confidante. You’ll need a shoulder to lean on, someone you can call to consistently remind you that you are NOT crazy and to be your forever cheerleader. (Lacey and Stacey – you saved me and I am forever grateful!)
- Engage a professional medium. You’ll need someone who’s been there, done that. Someone who gets the fear, the confusion, the skepticism, the excitement. Someone who can guide you through the understanding, the steps to control the sensations, to hone them or turn them off completely. I can help!
- Sit back, relax and breathe. As with everything we experience, enjoy the journey.
Amy Edwards says
I want to thank you for your very informative website. I experience 8 to 9 of what you have listed for a long time now I have felt like when people look at me I have 4 heads. In other words not normal but at the same time what is normal. Some of what I have experienced freaks me right out…..I have been to 2 different proffesional mediums one of which passed a message on from the other side that I know things before they happen and that I am letting it pass me by and they told him I am to stop letting pass me by. Again thank you for sharing……