Crystals are some of the most powerful tools used by mediums, psychics, healers and other spiritual practitioners. When I first began my spiritual development journey, I didn’t know azurite from well, honestly, from gravel. It didn’t take long, however, for me to realize that these precious little gems would soon be must-haves in my daily spiritual practice.
The process of getting to know crystals is amazing but can be OVERWHELMING! There are thousands of different crystals, with many uses, shapes, colors, properties, and sizes.
For those just setting out to develop their spiritual abilities, I recommend beginning by narrowing the crystal family down to two categories of what I call “starter crystals”: protection stones and connection stones.
Protection Stones & Crystals
These crystals provide safeguard from lower vibrational energies. They repel or absorb negative energy, essentially neutralizing and transmuting that energy into neutral or even positive frequencies. We all come in contact with negative energy every day – at work, on television, definitely the Internet. It comes from any bad-feeling vibe –anger, stress, sadness, or jealousy. As spiritual practitioners, our jobs involve stepping into other peoples’ energies, so protecting yourself is vital.
Starter Crystals for Protecting Yourself:
- Amethyst is a gentle, yet powerful stone with a high vibration. It guards against psychic attack, or negative energy sent or received from another person. Amethyst transmutes this negative energy into loving energy.
- Black tourmaline is one of the most powerful and commonly used stones for protection. It absorbs negative energy and emits pure, clean energy. It shields from harmful electromagnetic radiation released from TVs, computers and mobile phones.
- Smoky Quartz is linked to the base, or root chakra and is therefore a strong grounding and protection stone. Closely connected to the Earth, smoky quartz neutralizes negative energy and transforms it into positive vibrations.
Connection Stones & Crystals
Connection stones facilitate an open, clear channel to Spirit. They are typically used to open the upper chakras (energy centers) and clear the energy pathways associated spiritual connection and communication. They aid in gaining greater spiritual insight and intuition.
Starter Crystals for Connecting:
- Amethyst, YES, it’s back! Besides its uses for protection, amethyst also clears and stimulates the 6th chakra (third eye chakra), the energy center for intuition and clairvoyance and the 7th chakra (crown chakra), the energy center allowing for our connection to the Universe.
- Celestite is a high frequency stone closely connected with the Angelic realm. It is known to facilitate Spirit communication to include angels and guides.
Clear Quartz is an amplifier of energy. It brings clarity to communication. Used in combination with other connection crystals, it will amplify their energetic properties enabling stronger, clearer vibrations and Spirit communication.
- Selenite opens the crown chakra allowing access to higher consciousness. With its ability to release negative energy and energy blockages it facilitates clearer Spirit communication.
You can easily find these stones in any crystal or metaphysical shop. I recommend listening to your intuition. To determine what crystal you need and how to use just pick it up and let it speak to you. Whatever pops into your mind —wear me on a necklace, put me in the corners of your room, keep me in your glove box.
Your relationship with crystals is personal. Whatever you hear – feel –see – think when you pick up the crystal….do that. It’s guiding you to exactly what YOU need.
There is more to consider and learn about crystals. Clearing and programming. Care and maintenance. The more you know about them, the better you can work with them and them with you! If you’re looking for a good resource, I highly recommend The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall.
Enjoy this new journey with these lovely little creatures! I’m warning you though – these little buggers can be addictive. Illustrator and author, Adam Ellis, depicts it best here. Once you start, there’s no turning back!